Established in 1870, Stevens Institute of Technology has played a critical role in the development of engineering education. The University is inextricably linked with the Stevens family, one of Hoboken’s first significant landowners and the founders of the institution that today still bears their name. The campus sits on a riverfront bluff on the site of the former Stevens Estate, and has expansive and uninterrupted views of the Hudson River and the New York City skyline.
Mills + Schnoering Architects (M+Sa) conducted a Heritage Evaluation of the Stevens Institute of Technology campus, incorporating a program of background research and field investigation, to provide an historic overview of campus development; identify existing Heritage Landmarks and Cultural Landscapes; and offer professional recommendations regarding Stevens’ historic resources within the context of campus planning initiatives. M+Sa recently completed a successful National Register Nomination for the architecturally distinctive William Hall Walker Gymnasium, constructed in 1916, and is scheduled to undertake additional nominations for the University.
Following completion of the Heritage Evaluation, M+Sa produced a set of Design Guidelines for the campus, identifying general parameters for development and preservation of the campus, including building and landscape renovations and additions; the creation of new and the strengthening of existing outdoor spaces and quadrangles; and the preservation of important views toward the surrounding areas.
M+Sa is currently working with the University to design envelope improvements for an early 20th century building located within the Castle Point Terrace Historic District.