Founded in 1755, the Greek Revival Nassau Presbyterian Church was built in 1836 and expanded a number of times in response to programmatic needs. A significant addition in 1988 provided new offices, music, and classroom space, but also built out the Church property. With changing functional requirements for worship, education and fellowship, the Church reconsidered the interior layout of the building to better accommodate its mission and outreach.
Mills + Schnoering Architects prepared a master plan that assessed the physical, functional, and spiritual needs of the Church and provided a series of design options and recommendations. The team then implemented the recommendations in phases. The first phase of work included improvements to interior spaces on all levels. The second phase encompassed renovations to social spaces, such as the monumental Assembly Room, the narthex and balcony, the Sanctuary, and the kitchen; and also included installation of a new sprinkler and fire alarm system throughout the building, which remained occupied during construction. The final phase of work included renovations to the third floor education suite, and, notably, the design of two new 650 sf classrooms. Built over the symmetrical side wings at the back of the building, the classrooms feature a continuous glazed curtain wall system on top of the existing parapet wall. They sit lightly as lanterns on the existing masonry building and appear as new, transparent interventions.