Constructed in 1836 as a dormitory named West College, this sandstone masonry building is located on the west side of Princeton’s Canon Green to the south and directly behind Nassau Hall. In 1925 the building was renovated and expanded to include a pair of additions flanking an outdoor terrace.
Since 1964, the building has housed the offices of the Dean of Undergraduate Students (ODUS) and the Dean of the College (ODOC). In 2017, West College was renamed Morrison Hall to honor Nobel laureate, author, scholar, activist, and longtime Princeton professor Toni Morrison. M+Sa first renovated portions of Morrison Hall’s fourth floor for ODOC and conducted several feasibility, programming, and concept design studies to determine the best options for new or renovated programs. The Department of African American Studies (AAS) and the American Studies (AMS) Department were subsequently relocated to space on several floors of Morrison. M+Sa prepared design and construction documents and administered construction for these renovations which included: new offices for AAS at the lower level, first, and second floors; new offices for AMS on the second floor, new shared meeting and common spaces throughout, three new seminar rooms with full AV capabilities, and new barrier free restrooms. In addition, the ODUS conference room was reconfigured and expanded on the third floor.