George School is a coeducational Quaker independent boarding and day school featuring a rich variety of building types from its 120+ year history. Following construction of a new comprehensive fitness center, athletic functions formerly housed in Alumni Gym (1951) were relocated to the new facility, leaving an unprogrammed, empty building at the center of campus. Simultaneously, the School sought to relieve overcrowding within Main (1893), the School’s first and largest building.
George School retained Mills + Schnoering Architects (M+Sa) to conduct a space analysis and develop implementation strategies for the reorganization of these two buildings. The study quickly expanded to incorporate a number of other buildings and programs on campus, including the Marshall Student Center (1895), Retford Classroom Building (1906), Hallowell Arts Center (1948), and the Walton Center Auditorium (1964). M+Sa directed an extensive and detailed programming effort and a comprehensive conceptual design analysis. Following the submission of the study, M+Sa designed interior renovations at the mid-century Walton Auditorium, including seating, finish, and accessibility upgrades and control booth and lobby renovations.