The Elisabeth Morrow School (EMS) is an independent day school founded in 1930 by Elisabeth Morrow on the former estate of Senator Dwight Morrow and Smith College president Elizabeth Cutter Morrow. The campus, which serves 400+ students from pre-K through grade 8, is set within a wooded landscape spanning 14 acres. The school’s administration and students in grades 5 through 8 are located in Morrow House, a 1920s Georgian Revival mansion originally designed by architects Delano & Aldrich as a residence for the Morrow family. Over the years, Morrow House has been expanded through several building campaigns and renovated extensively to accommodate educational use.
Mills + Schnoering Architects prepared a master plan for the renovation and expansion of Morrow House, considering site circulation for people and goods and improved and expanded programmatic spaces. The plan proposes a new science, technology, engineering, art and design, and math (STEAM) learning center; a new dining hall; expanded performing arts spaces; accessibility throughout, and new HVAC and fire protection systems. Currently, M+Sa is assisting EMS with an initial phase of exterior brick, trim, door, window and roofing repairs and replacements to be undertaken in Summer 2019.